GTK NOW SUPPORTS EF!!!!!

Forum for the discussion of topics concerning map making. Make your suggestions for features in maps here, or ask questions about the mapping process.

GTK NOW SUPPORTS EF!!!!!

Postby PooP » Tue May 28, 2002 12:45 pm

Hey yall.. GTK, the best q3 engine editor out there has just released a new version that supports EF... YAY!!! Get it here:

http://www.qeradiant.com/index.php?data=dlselect

It's really easy to install... Just download it, and um.. install it. Heheh. Couple of things...

Just for superstition's sake, name the folder in your Elite Force folder 'Tools', when it asks you what directory to put the 'support files' or something (Not the core directory). It will say 'Radiant' as a default.. just change it to 'tools'.

One very important thing:
You'll need to re-name your entities file, so that it will load the Holomatch entities (weapons, etc.). Just name the file 'SP_entities.def' to 'SP_entities.txt'. Also, make sure that the 'MP_entities.*' is named 'MP_entities.txt'. These are the Jediknight2 files you don't need. Then, go to your /voyager/Tools/ directory there is a file named 'HM_entities.def', and that it's not showing up as a text file '.txt.'. Re-name it as 'Entities.def' . Take this file, and place it with the others in your /baseef/scripts/ folder.

That should set things straight. It's the exact same thing you did for all the other GTK versions, as well as EFR versions. Dunno why they don't fix it :P

PooPers
Last edited by PooP on Thu May 30, 2002 4:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PooP
League Council Member
League Council Member

Postby Pheonix.tso » Tue May 28, 2002 1:11 pm

Can I say:

Bout Fucken Time
Pheonix

"Fear is the mind killer. I will face my fears; I will let it pass through me. In the end there will be only me."
-Dune
Pheonix.tso
Clan Council Member
Clan Council Member

Postby PooP » Tue May 28, 2002 8:00 pm

Oh yeah.. and one more thing... this version supports the "Engine Run After Compile" feature... which is neat... it automatically runs the game for you anytime you compile... no more /devmaps, blah blah.

You can toggle it under the 'preferences' menu, which you can get to w/ the kayboard shortcut 'P'
PooP
League Council Member
League Council Member

Re: GTK NOW SUPPORTS EF!!!!!

Postby Haz » Wed May 29, 2002 2:31 pm

PooP wrote:One very important thing:
You'll need to re-name your entities file, so that it will load the Holomatch entities (weapons, etc.). Just name the file 'SP_entities.def' to 'SP_entities.txt'. Also, make sure that the 'MP_entities.*' is named 'MP_entities.def'. This should set things straight. It's the exact same thing you did for all the other GTK versions, as well as EFR versions. Dunno why they don't fix it :P
PooPers

Ok, I didn't make any changes and just started using it. Worked MUCH better. Two things though...

1) I did later go back and rename the SP file with the TXT extension. Now in the editor, everything isn't doubled like before. Ok. But I don't see any recognizable EF weapons in there. Am I missing something here? The ammo list also corresponds, mainly, to what is in that weapon list.

2) I'm having difficulty rotating some objects. Mainly spawn points and flags. I get an error that they can't be rotated but obviously they can because of the maps I've played on.
Haz
League Council Member
League Council Member

Postby PooP » Wed May 29, 2002 3:27 pm

Yeah.. about the entities thing... it's been brought to my attention that I'm retarded and that what I said above ^^^ is wrong... so I've edited it now.. pls run through it again.

About Rotating:

You don't rotate entites and models like you rotate brushes (i.e. w/ the r key or the free rotate button). You rotate them via the Entitiy menu, (accessed w/ the letter 'N'). When you bring up the menu, you'll see a small bunch of buttons in the bottom left-hand corner, w/ numbers on them. Those numbers correspond to angles. Just hit the angle you want the entity to face, and vioala. A little arrow will pop up in your 3d view showing you it's angle. :)

PooPers
PooP
League Council Member
League Council Member

Postby MegaBitch » Wed May 29, 2002 4:00 pm

Maybe you can tell me why my 3d model disappears for no reason and my grid gets messes up?
MegaBitch
Bounty Hunter of Lame Posts

Postby PooP » Wed May 29, 2002 5:02 pm

Gonna have to be more specific... When does the model dissapear.. and how does the grid get messed up?
PooP
League Council Member
League Council Member

Postby MegaBitch » Wed May 29, 2002 5:12 pm

Oops, sorry. The grid messed up when i hit ESC to deselect a brush. Ever since, I've just been using the deselect in the menu. My 3d model was disappearing while I was stretching a texture or changing the size of a brush.
MegaBitch

Postby Pheonix.tso » Wed May 29, 2002 5:19 pm

You know I think MB's avatar should be this forums official icon.
Pheonix

"Fear is the mind killer. I will face my fears; I will let it pass through me. In the end there will be only me."
-Dune
Pheonix.tso
Clan Council Member
Clan Council Member

Postby Haz » Wed May 29, 2002 6:59 pm

PooP wrote:You'll need to re-name your entities file, so that it will load the Holomatch entities (weapons, etc.). Just name the file 'SP_entities.def' to 'SP_entities.txt'. Also, make sure that the 'MP_entities.*' is named 'MP_entities.txt'. These are tehe Jediknight2 files you don't need. Then, make sure that in your /voyager/Tools/ directory there is a file named 'HM_entities.def', and that it's not showing up as a text file '.txt.'. That should set things straight. It's the exact same thing you did for all the other GTK versions, as well as EFR versions. Dunno why they don't fix it :P
PooPers

Well, of course I'd have a problem. No HM_entities file, anywhere. That would explain a few things. I know I downloaded the correct version so where is this mystery file?

You know, searching on the web for this info is no help either and the last several searches I did in MapCenter (over at QERadiant) had nothing to do with mapping.
Haz
League Council Member
League Council Member

Postby Haz » Wed May 29, 2002 9:03 pm

T'Watt wrote:Well, of course I'd have a problem. No HM_entities file, anywhere. That would explain a few things. I know I downloaded the correct version so where is this mystery file?

I had the GDK installed at one time but I think I formatted since I last installed it. Anyways, found it on 3ddownloads and will yet again have this file. Sheesh. I found so many freaking topics over at the Raven boards about how to rename the stupid file but nothing about where to find it. And of course it took me two hours to think of where to find it, duh. :roll:
Haz
League Council Member
League Council Member

Postby Haz » Thu May 30, 2002 12:41 pm

Well, I'm really no better off than I was before. I have some entitites but not all of them. For instance, I have trigger_teleport but no target_teleport. With the SP and MP files renamed with the TXT extension and only the HM file with the DEF extension, I have no entities in the game. I had to restore the SP one just so I would have stuff to work with.

I saw the same problem over at MapCenter but everyone seemed convinced that it was an issue with not knowing how to rename files. Sheesh, if ya can't do that then how the hell could ya get this far, duh.

Anyway...I can make maps and test them out and stuff but due to the problems I'm having some entities aren't available so it would be useless to try and make one for distribution at this time.
Haz
League Council Member
League Council Member

Postby PooP » Thu May 30, 2002 3:34 pm

Aparently i am retarded beyond all belief... i screwed up the Entity thing yet again. Take the 'HM_entities.txt' from your /tools/ folder, and rename it to 'Entities.def'. Then place it in your 'baseef/scripts/ folder. Sorry about that.

Re-naming files might be a little harder than it seems.....

I'm not sure if you've done this... don't mean to insult your intelligence if you have, but just make sure you've done it right...

Open up your /tools/ folder in explorer. Go to 'Tools' on the menu bar, then select 'Folder options'. Select the 'View' tab. You'll see a white box with a bunch of advanced settings checkboxes... find the one that says 'Hide extensions for known file types', and make sure it is UN-selected. Hit okay, then peruse your files. Make sure everything is named correctly: Entities.def, and not Entities.def.txt

This should work. if it doesn't, I'll sever my ties to the known world and raise goats in the mountains.
PooP
League Council Member
League Council Member

Postby Pheonix.tso » Thu May 30, 2002 4:17 pm

Um, I had the correct entities file named entities.def, and gtk still wouldn't load the entities (everyother entity list was changed to txt except that one which had originally been named HM_entities.def). So I renamed it mp_entities.def and it works fine now, but I don't think that it will work if its named entities.def
Pheonix

-Dune
Pheonix.tso
Clan Council Member
Clan Council Member

Postby Haz » Thu May 30, 2002 4:31 pm

PooP wrote:Aparently i am retarded beyond all belief... i screwed up the Entity thing yet again. Take the 'HM_entities.txt' from your /tools/ folder, and rename it to 'Entities.def'. Then place it in your 'baseef/scripts/ folder. Sorry about that.

...musically in background....Hallelujah.... :D

Ok. First, yeah I know about the annoying Windows thing about hiding known extensions. So, made sure the other DEF files were renamed to TXT and renamed the HM_entities file to entities.def and viola! Now when I right click in the editor, the correct entities appear.

It didn't seem to affect the most recent map I was working on (pretty much just a test map).

Now I haven't exactly placed any of these newly available entities and tested to make sure they are working. I'm just happy that I've gotten this far.

THANKS!!!!
Haz
League Council Member
League Council Member

Postby Haz » Fri May 31, 2002 7:47 am

T'Watt wrote:
PooP wrote:Aparently i am retarded beyond all belief... i screwed up the Entity thing yet again. Take the 'HM_entities.txt' from your /tools/ folder, and rename it to 'Entities.def'. Then place it in your 'baseef/scripts/ folder. Sorry about that.

Now I haven't exactly placed any of these newly available entities and tested to make sure they are working. I'm just happy that I've gotten this far.

Ok. Tested several weapons and teleport entities, they all appear to be working.
Haz
League Council Member
League Council Member

Postby BoC-Dr.Clyde » Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:44 pm

Ahh, so this is where the mappers are hiding. I need mapping questions answered. You guy's answer questions?
BoC-Dr.Clyde
Tribble
Tribble

Postby Haz » Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:01 pm

Well actually, we have covered a lot of of the common stuff here. Just browse through, you'll probably find the answer.

You can always post a question here but Poop & Phoenix aren't here 24/7 so don't expect an immediate response.
Haz
League Council Member
League Council Member

Postby MOB-Thumper » Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:38 pm

whats GTK? :-D
Thumper
MOB-Thumper
Clan Council Member
Clan Council Member

Postby Haz » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:52 am

un-Announcement-ed

My computer problems seem to be the result of a loose nut between the keyboard & the chair.
Haz
League Council Member
League Council Member

Return to LGL Mappers Forum