Light emitting textures...

Forum for the discussion of topics concerning map making. Make your suggestions for features in maps here, or ask questions about the mapping process.

Light emitting textures...

Postby Darkhand » Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:54 pm

Ok, I was making my map and i recently switched to GTK (which now has all of my sutom textures). I was working on my map and compiled it with light. Everything was overpowering so I deleted most of the lights and turned down the remaining lights to see if that would help. It didn't. Now I have 1 light in my entire map and everything is too bright. My comclusion is i'm using some kind of light emitting textures. Now here's the question: How do I modify the texture to not give off light?
Also, after I fix that lighting problem will the colored lights I have work?
Last but not least, when you copile and play the map how do you set the gametype to ctf? Hehe all help will be appreciated, or you can just laugh at me and I know I'm not the only one with these stupid problems... (hint for all other struggleing and too shy to ask for help: look at all of my posts, I've asked almost every possible question to this thing... :lol: )
Darkhand
Tribble
Tribble

Postby Pheonix.tso » Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:19 pm

well give me a brief list on the textures your using. As far as altering textures to not emit light, the texture if it does emit light is a shader, you will need to use a shader editing program to edit the shaders not to emit light.
Pheonix

"Fear is the mind killer. I will face my fears; I will let it pass through me. In the end there will be only me."
-Dune
Pheonix.tso
Clan Council Member
Clan Council Member

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 03, 2002 8:25 pm

well i'm using textures from neoegypt that I found on my compy. My textures sucked so i used them and was planning to give credit to the map on the loadup screen. I think GTK reads the shaders and textures from the pk3's. How would I edit them?
Whit what program? Would it be better just to get a new texture from somewhere?
(hehe didn't you miss my questions :D )

Postby Darkhand » Sun Nov 03, 2002 8:27 pm

Oops forgot to login :D It has been awhile since i've ask a question hehe.
Darkhand
Tribble
Tribble

Postby Pheonix.tso » Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:19 pm

ok do the textures your using have a little white or colored box around them when they aren't selected.
Pheonix

"Fear is the mind killer. I will face my fears; I will let it pass through me. In the end there will be only me."
-Dune
Pheonix.tso
Clan Council Member
Clan Council Member

Postby Darkhand » Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:44 pm

yea it has a green box... what does that mean? :-?
Darkhand
Tribble
Tribble

Postby Pheonix.tso » Mon Nov 04, 2002 7:50 pm

ok green (at leaast in GTK ) means that it is a texture you are using in your map. If said texture has a white box around it that means it is a shader.
Pheonix

-Dune
Pheonix.tso
Clan Council Member
Clan Council Member

Postby Darkhand » Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:44 pm

It has no white box :o So now what do I do?
Darkhand
Tribble
Tribble

Postby Pheonix.tso » Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:53 pm

what was the exact bsp you did, give me the exact line it said in the drop down menu.
Pheonix

-Dune
Pheonix.tso
Clan Council Member
Clan Council Member

Postby Darkhand » Tue Nov 05, 2002 9:15 pm

i did
BSP -vis

I assumed that was a bsp compile with visual included was I right?
Darkhand
Tribble
Tribble

Postby Pheonix.tso » Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:24 pm

lol, hehe no. What that does is a compile which does a full vis, in otherwords it is doing a complete calculation of visportals and the like, for the visible area. It doesn't however include a light mapping level.

BSP,-visfast: A fast calculation on the vis, it doesn't take into account all the vis data, so it is a ruff sketch basically of all the textures in stuff, when compiled it is set to a very bright default light level, in which everything is lite.

BSP,visfast, light: this is the same as above but it also adds a lightmapping compile to the proccess, this will then do all the calculations and set up with the light entities.

BSP, vis, light: This is for your final compile, it is a complete vis calculation,a nd a full light level mapping for the level. In GTK the equivalent is BSP, vis, light, extra.

Thats your problem the compile you did wasn't doing a light map compile.
Pheonix

-Dune
Pheonix.tso
Clan Council Member
Clan Council Member

Postby Darkhand » Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:24 pm

hehe i always do some noob thing like that :D Well, I suppose I will eventually get to a point when I have made all of the mistakes and ,since I learn from them, will never make it again... or not :xeno: Thank You again Phoenix, without ya I would sill be trying to figure out why my map was leakin... :roll:
Darkhand
Tribble
Tribble

Postby Pheonix.tso » Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:00 pm

lol, np, we have all been there. Hell just ask poop about when I was there. Hehe, I think he got tired of me bugging him.
Pheonix

-Dune
Pheonix.tso
Clan Council Member
Clan Council Member

Return to LGL Mappers Forum