my first map

Forum for the discussion of topics concerning map making. Make your suggestions for features in maps here, or ask questions about the mapping process.

my first map

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:26 pm

i made my first map compiled it into a pk3 and went to load it up it said create a spawn point when i had a bunch i went pack and added deathmatch spawn saved it then tried agon and now it wont even engage i push engage and it does nothing it say my map doesnot exist my map is at www.geocities.com/monkeycollective/ctf_kfv.zip
:getmad: :getmad: :getmad:
plz help me or ull be assimulated :borg:

Postby Haz » Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:05 am

can't get the file, get a page not available error from yahoo/geocities

My computer problems seem to be the result of a loose nut between the keyboard & the chair.
Haz
League Council Member
League Council Member

huh?

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:45 pm

Postby Haz » Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:10 pm

We're sorry, but this page is currently unavailable for viewing.
If this site belongs to you, please read this help page for more information and assistance.

For general questions see our main help area, or search for other member pages.

But now at least if you right click and select Save Target As... it can be downloaded. That didn't even work the first time. I'll take a look at the map for ya and get back to ya.

My computer problems seem to be the result of a loose nut between the keyboard & the chair.
Haz
League Council Member
League Council Member

Postby Haz » Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:22 pm

The reason why your map wouldn't load was because the BSP file in the PK3 had a different file name then the PK3 file name. These need to match.

Also, in your ARENA file, don't use Caps. Keep your names and descriptions in all lowercase. The game will just leave it blank if you use a capital letter.

One note on the map itself though. If you are just using this to test the editor out and such, that it okay but if you plan on building onto this to make a map for release, I HIGHLY recommend that you widen the pathways in there. You should always make your narrowest path at least the width of two players. (you can judge this by placing a spawn point as a guide to see how wide the area is) Otherwise, when people are playing they'll constantly be in each other's way and it becomes very annoying quickly.

But keep at it, you'll find that if you try one thing at a time, and then as you feel comfortable with that, then try something new, you'll really begin to start making some cool stuff. Just don't try to learn it all at once, that'll just give you a headache. :wink:

Good luck.

Haz
League Council Member
League Council Member

Return to LGL Mappers Forum