running maps

Forum for the discussion of topics concerning map making. Make your suggestions for features in maps here, or ask questions about the mapping process.

running maps

Postby huff » Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:24 pm

hello. i am a new mapper.
i have started out making a small 1 room map full of fog. it should make for a fun battle.
what i need to learn is how do i get the map running for ef?
once i get it running i can make triggers with trial and error and learn them.
all of your help is much apprecieated.

btw i have GTK radiant, please use simple tearms because i am not too familliar with the map making program.
it would be helpfull if you told me what things are essential to haveing a map runable.

thanks on behalf of myself and [GEN] :-?
one frag two frag red frag blue frag

frag ya l8ter :) -Huff-
huff
Tribble
Tribble

Postby Haz » Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:35 pm

There is no way that I know of to give you all the information you just mentioned in one "simple" post. Seriously, a lot of it is trial and error.

Take things one step at a time. Don't try to make a map with elevators until you understand doors. Don't put in a bunch of transporters until you understand how to place targets. Basically, don't try to make a map like you see running on one of the servers, having it be your first or second one, and expect it to look/work anything like the ones you've seen.

You have GOT to have patience when making maps. Especially when something screws up and you've lost hours of work.

Oh, that's another thing, incremental saves. Everytime you do something that changes the function of the map, save it as a different file name.
e.g. mymap1.map then a change so mymap2.map

This can add up but until you're really, REALLY, comfortable with the process, it will save you a LOT of headaches.

Also, check the forums dedicated to map making (this one is just here because there are a few of us that have made maps but really has very little info compared to others).

http://www.map-center.com (haven't been to this one in a while, was kinda dead but they just updated not too long ago)

http://www.planetquake.com/qworkshop3/ (forums and some very helpful tutorials)

http://www.ravensoft.com (go to communications then go to the mod support under the EF section)

My computer problems seem to be the result of a loose nut between the keyboard & the chair.
Haz
League Council Member
League Council Member

Postby huff » Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:49 am

ok I understand. I guess i should get a map running so i can start trial and error with triggers.

i will check those links for info on how to get a .map file playable
thanks.

huff
Tribble
Tribble

Postby Pheonix.tso » Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:12 pm

Actually somethig simpler is go into I believe preferences, or options, then down at the bottom of the list there should be a bsp option, select that, look down the list and choose for GTK to run it when it finishes compiling the map. It will then load up the map and everything once it is done compiling.
Pheonix

"Fear is the mind killer. I will face my fears; I will let it pass through me. In the end there will be only me."
-Dune
Pheonix.tso
Clan Council Member
Clan Council Member

Postby Haz » Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:29 pm

Pheonix.tso wrote:Actually somethig simpler is go into I believe preferences, or options, then down at the bottom of the list there should be a bsp option, select that, look down the list and choose for GTK to run it when it finishes compiling the map. It will then load up the map and everything once it is done compiling.

Just for reference, for some reason I can't do that (probably the video card itself because I've had different drivers and had the same issue). Graphics in EF (the entire screen, not some stuff) wigs out and can hardly even see to exit the program much less test the map. Works fine though if I close GTK then launch EF.

My computer problems seem to be the result of a loose nut between the keyboard & the chair.
Haz
League Council Member
League Council Member

Postby Pheonix.tso » Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:14 pm

lol well thats you and your crappy system. He probably has a better one. :D
Pheonix

"Fear is the mind killer. I will face my fears; I will let it pass through me. In the end there will be only me."
-Dune
Pheonix.tso
Clan Council Member
Clan Council Member

Postby Haz » Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:40 am

Pheonix.tso wrote:lol well thats you and your crappy system. He probably has a better one. :D

Eh STFU :xeno:

Haz
League Council Member
League Council Member

Postby Pheonix.tso » Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:57 am

:oops: :P
Pheonix

-Dune
Pheonix.tso
Clan Council Member
Clan Council Member

Postby huff » Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:14 pm

yay thanks dudes now i will try compiling that map :wink: :lol: :roflmao: :-? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
btw, your system isnt that crappy if u can play ef :D
and i love your quote phe0nix

huff
Tribble
Tribble

Postby guest » Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:25 pm

hey guys..ok im a 13 year old kid with way too much time on my hands so i thought it would be fun to make maps! :gwolf: i was just wondering if someone could tell me what progrma sto download and things like that so i can start :xeno: if u could thanx

Postby huff » Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:57 pm

i cant find out how to do it. there is not hing in prefrences or options that lets me compile into a runable map.

please give me more information

huff
Tribble
Tribble

Postby Pheonix.tso » Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:24 pm

lol, no your not going to preferences or options to actually compile the map. What your doing there is setting your compile program q3map2 to immediately launch the map when it finishes. K do this.

1) Go to edit, then preferences

2) select BSP monitoring

3) select stop compile on leak (not mandatory, but good idea highly recommended), run engine after compile, activate sleep mode when running the engine (for these the buttons on the sides should be down.) Then simply hit ok.

THe other stuff i the menue is up to you select em if ya want.

4) Open your map up if its not already open, then go up and select BSP then it will give you a big drop down menue.

THe BSP is were your actually compiling your map, the various options you see compiles the map in a different manner. My suggestion since your just testing the map, is Q3map2: (test) BSP -meta, -vis -fast, -light -fast -super2 -filter. This is if you actually have light entities in your room, if no light entities then youll want to choose one that doesn't contain the -light portion in its execute commands (portion after BSP). Basically unless your doing the final absolute compile then you want to simply do -vis -fast so that way your comp isn't taking forever in actually doing the structure of your map (-vis is the normal for final maps, and this is wer you can run into compiles that last a day.) I know big list lots of odd words, can't remimber were since I haven't needed it in a while, but I do know there is a tutorial or manual out there that explains all of the various BSP modes, so you might want to try and hunt it down.

THanks, hehe, you of many I use, mabye I'll change it in a week or two.

Also for our guest, my suggestion would be to download the latest GTK Radient 1.2.11 build its the best by far in my opinion. A slightly simpler one, but also one that tends to be a pain in the ass (though some like it) is the EFradient, which can be found with the Game developers kit, EFfiles has it I believe, otherwise hunt down and get GTK.
Pheonix

-Dune
Pheonix.tso
Clan Council Member
Clan Council Member

Postby huff » Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:30 pm

i will try it as soon as i have some spare time. probably tomarrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yay i hope i can follow the directions accuratly and that it works lol
thanks for your help.
i will post any further questions or problems in the future

huff
Tribble
Tribble

Postby Pheonix.tso » Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:37 pm

np, were always kind to new mappers, since we get to see em rip their hair out trying to learn gtk. DOn't worry though once you get past the initial stuff the learning curve is steep. It just reminds us of when we were new mappers
Pheonix

-Dune
Pheonix.tso
Clan Council Member
Clan Council Member

Postby Haz » Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:55 am

Pheonix.tso wrote: It just reminds us of when we were new mappers

:o I still have flashbacks...very traumatic.

Haz
League Council Member
League Council Member

Postby Pheonix.tso » Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:01 am

Ya I know, those nervous breakdowns were never fun
Pheonix

-Dune
Pheonix.tso
Clan Council Member
Clan Council Member

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:44 pm

i am getting the hang of this, sorry guys. no hairs commin out this time
:P :lol: :lol: :lol: :roflmao:

u might see me spazz once thou lol :flamethrowingsmiley:

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:55 pm

what is the stratr~1 eror when i try to compile.
btw wat does it mean when it says fog has multiple sides for an error?

Postby Pheonix.tso » Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:01 pm

ok the start~ is like I said just the machine shortening the folder name STVEF is in, since it can't take a name that long. Its not an error unless it actually says error. Its pointing the right way.

Muyltiple sided fog, hmm, I believe you need to close offall but one side of your fog brush. Haz care to help, tahts one I haven't run into yet.
Pheonix

-Dune
Pheonix.tso
Clan Council Member
Clan Council Member

Postby Mob-Xero » Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:53 pm

heyas guest, you got a name hippy?

:P

I made a map once

it had 2 flags and 2 spawn points and 3 bounding boxxes and the flags were up on boxes which took me 3 years to get right

:lol:
We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances.
Mob-Xero
Cynical Bastard
Cynical Bastard

Next

Return to LGL Mappers Forum