map leaks

Forum for the discussion of topics concerning map making. Make your suggestions for features in maps here, or ask questions about the mapping process.

map leaks

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:10 pm

how do you fix map leaks?

Postby Haz » Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:46 pm

Duct tape

My computer problems seem to be the result of a loose nut between the keyboard & the chair.
Haz
League Council Member
League Council Member

Postby Haz » Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:49 pm

Seriously....

When during the compile it stops and says Map Leaked you should see a red line running from source to exit where the leak occurs.

A big reason why you get leaks is the way you make your bounding box or it was altered accidentally.

Best thing to do in this case is to remove the bounding box (the area that separates your map from the void). Make a new cube large enough to cover your entire map (actually over by a few "blocks" if you're viewing at say 16 or 32) and then hit the "hollow" button.

Before you bother to texture, recompile. See if that solved it.

My computer problems seem to be the result of a loose nut between the keyboard & the chair.
Haz
League Council Member
League Council Member

Postby Pheonix.tso » Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:55 pm

Lol, thats assuming your using a bounding box. THough hes right on one thing, take a look at that line, and it should start on your spawn point, then follow it and find were it exits your map into the grey void. A leak is basically were your map is open to the void, were the void is infinite, so it can't really keep going. All you need to do is to seal the hole in your map that opens it to the void. What many have taken up doing is cope out and simply make a plain texture cube to surround the final map. Haz likes to cop out :D
Pheonix

"Fear is the mind killer. I will face my fears; I will let it pass through me. In the end there will be only me."
-Dune
Pheonix.tso
Clan Council Member
Clan Council Member

Postby Haz » Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:08 pm

Pheonix.tso wrote:What many have taken up doing is cope out and simply make a plain texture cube to surround the final map. Haz likes to cop out :D

Oh that is just so wrong. X^|

:xeno:

Haz
League Council Member
League Council Member

Postby Pheonix.tso » Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:10 pm

lol, don't deny it you know you do. :P
Pheonix

"Fear is the mind killer. I will face my fears; I will let it pass through me. In the end there will be only me."
-Dune
Pheonix.tso
Clan Council Member
Clan Council Member

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:54 pm

i did make a bounding box, but it still says map leak.

btw

i get this error when i compile
statr~1 wtf does that mean?

should i be using info_playerstart or info_playerdeathmatch for my spawn

Postby Pheonix.tso » Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:59 pm

try redoing your bounding box, and simpple do it using the hollow command, as for that start~ thats simply a shortening of your file directory for STVEF. The compiler can't write out the full line since like old Windows systems the file names are limited. DOn't worry though its still pointing to the right area.

If you just testing an info_player start would do just fine.
Pheonix

-Dune
Pheonix.tso
Clan Council Member
Clan Council Member

Return to LGL Mappers Forum