UberRadiant Compile Time

Forum for the discussion of topics concerning map making. Make your suggestions for features in maps here, or ask questions about the mapping process.

UberRadiant Compile Time

Postby Haz » Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:59 pm

Ok, working on an EF map of mine just to get familiar with the new Radiant. I did a Quick Compile (BSP & Vis) just to see the scale in the game and noticed that it is pretty much the same time as if I did a completely full and final compile in GTK.

Anyone else notice a significant increase in compile time?

Granted, it doesn't "assimilate" all of my CPU so I can do other things while it is running but then of course, that slows down the process and it takes longer.

My computer problems seem to be the result of a loose nut between the keyboard & the chair.
Haz
League Council Member
League Council Member

Postby Haz » Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:28 pm

Update:

That compile never finished. After the third one hour stage (that's three hours folks) I received a virtual memory error then the program crashed. Dunno if that was a bug (memory leak or something) or if perhaps it didn't like the size of my map.

In GTK, it only took a minute or two to do a quick compile. If I have to wait over an hour just for a simple compile to see how the last several changes look, then I don't think I'll be releasing any maps anytime soon.

My computer problems seem to be the result of a loose nut between the keyboard & the chair.
Haz
League Council Member
League Council Member

Postby Haz » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:40 am

Vorax @ the Ritualistic Editing Forum wrote:You need to start using detail brushes...big time. If you do not, that compile will probably take 2-4 days to complete.

Cancel it and go back to your map and start tagging brushes as detail. If you do not know what 'detail' brushes are for, search the net for a Q3 site talking about them.

charon @ the Ritualistic Editing Forum wrote:You should read up on vis, visblocking, and detail brushes. Basically you need a structural hull for the map that doesn't leak and has proper vising, and place detail brushes inside of that. The hull of your map should be fairly simplistic. Your vis data should NEVER reach 2 megs(2000k), as yours is at, it should be around 200k or even much less(most ef2 maps were 30k to 200k vis data).

If anyone doesn't understand the concept of Detail vs. Structural, I'd suggest going over to http://www.planetquake.com/qworkshop3/t ... index.html

IGNORE anything other than detail, vis & structural commentary. DO NOT mess around with Hint brushes until you understand the fundementals of the editor.

Haz
League Council Member
League Council Member

Return to LGL Mappers Forum