something i found out

Forum for the discussion of topics concerning map making. Make your suggestions for features in maps here, or ask questions about the mapping process.

something i found out

Postby Undertaker » Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:29 pm

I made a map for ef2 then i loaded it up to play it. vut when i was in the game i nowtised that the charecter models are bigger than the first ef. So all the places u can crawl into u cant. This is just a warning so u guys dont make the same mistake i did.

:tofunny: <----------------- at me
Undertaker
Tribble
Tribble

Postby Haz » Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:03 am

actually that has been brought up already, a few months ago I believe, over at the ritualistic forums.

honestly, its one of the few major differences when it comes to mapping basics. very little "major" stuff has changed, mostly just "tweaked".

but not a bad thing to keep in mind for those trying to "port" over EF maps.

hmmm, wonder if I can "quote" anything else. HA, there I "go" again.

Oh, no, I can't "stop" myself.

My computer problems seem to be the result of a loose nut between the keyboard & the chair.
Haz
League Council Member
League Council Member

Postby Tsull » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:39 am

Do you guys have any rule of thumb for how to scale? If you have a space you need to crawl through, or jump up on, How high or small do you make it. I've been toying with maps but am getting ready to actually start one and don't want to have to go back and scale it all later.

Thanks
Tsull
Clan Council Member
Clan Council Member

Postby Haz » Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:44 pm

Tsull wrote:Do you guys have any rule of thumb for how to scale? If you have a space you need to crawl through, or jump up on, How high or small do you make it. I've been toying with maps but am getting ready to actually start one and don't want to have to go back and scale it all later.

Thanks

It really depends on whom you ask. Mainly because different mappers use different grid levels as their "default".

Rule of Thumb for me is, using grid 8, make sure you have at least 2 if not 4 small squares for "clearance" when making an area that you can standup in (although, would still be kinda cramped). For a crouched area, again using grid 8, I would say 2 or 3 squares just over one larger one.

In the image here, the center outlined area is a player spawn point. The one on the left would be a good height for a small room, the one on the right would be ok for a crawlspace.

Keep in mind, gotta consider room for the thickness of the walls themselves but just wanted to give an idea to clarify.

Again, just a guide, it's something you'll have to play around with.

My computer problems seem to be the result of a loose nut between the keyboard & the chair.
Haz
League Council Member
League Council Member

Postby Tsull » Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:55 pm

Thanks Haz, I'll mess around with it and see what works, but that's definitely a good starting point.
Tsull
Clan Council Member
Clan Council Member

Return to LGL Mappers Forum